As most people know, Twitter is a great place for info, news and much more. One use of Twitter I enjoy is laughing at the humorous sayings of famous comedians. Here are a few of my favorites discovered from the Comedy Edition of Wired.
On January 9, 2007 Apple unveiled their future cell phone market buster, the iPhone. I wanted it. But I knew I couldn’t switch from Verizon to AT&T, especially since I couldn’t force my Dad to switch and I couldn’t afford it. So I waited.
Hopeful rumors stormed tech sites for months and years without the iPhone ever being available on Verizon, and even though I did get married and have my own account switching to AT&T while nearly all my contacts shared Verizon-to-Verizon minutes with me. So I waited. Continue Reading…
This past week I had the privilege to teach the Godly-man breakout at Camp Whatever for the fourth consecutive year. I really enjoy teaching this breakout to young guys, and help display how a man should live a Christ-centered life. Here are my talking notes.
Characteristics of a Goldy Man/Awesome Bro
What Characteristics to do relate with an Awesome Bro?
- What is Leadership?
- There are different steps of leadership. Not everyone can be the president of the US or the president of anything, but you can always lead amongst your peers and in certain situations. How you lead with little responsibilities will determine how you lead with much.
- (“For those who know me best to know and respect me most.” Andy Stanley quoting his friend from Next Generation Leader) pg 155.
- “To become a leader worth following, you must be intentional about developing the inner man. You must invest in the health of your soul. Nobody plans to fail, especially leaders. But to ignore the condition of your should is the equivalent of planning to fail.” pg 153.
- The leader who refuses until fear is gone will never move.
- Most possess the talent to lead, but it’s your courage/strength that will establish you as a leader in the minds of others.
- What is Strength/Courage?
- “One need never violate the principles of God to maintain the blessings of God. The unseen King is able.” pg 147. Daniel 3 King Nebuchadnezzar story.
- Seek wise counsel.
- Proverbs 1:5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,
- Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.
- Proverbs 15:22 Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.
- Proverbs 19:20 Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future.
- The strength to say no.
- “Most of us lead busy undisciplined lives. We have ever expanding ‘to do’ lists, trying to build momentum by doing, doing, doing–and doing more. And it rarely works. Those who built the good-to-great companies, however, made as much use of ‘stop doing’ lists as the ‘to do’ lists.
Integrity or Character
- What is integrity/Character?
- Character is not an essential to be a leader. We all know leaders who lacked character. But character is what makes a leader worth following.
- “Character is the will to do what’s right even when it’s hard.” pg 133.
- “Character is personal, but it is not private.” Andy Stanley. Make sure you make your intentions known.
- Characteristics of integrity. (Available, accountable, dependable, generous, honest, loyal, pure, sensitive, and transparent.)
- “Leaders worth following do not pretend to live in two worlds. There is no discrepancy between their professional and private lives. They know the futility of compartmentalizing their lives.” pg 141.
- Proverbs 11:3 The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.
- What is Godliness?
- 2 Peter 1:3-13 3His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 12 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have.13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder.
If you’re like me, then you download and view multiple PDFs during the work week. If you are also like me, then you hate that the default application to open PDFs is Adobe Acrobat. Don’t get me wrong Acrobat has it’s purposes, but it isn’t as fast or useful as Preview when it comes to just viewing a PDF.
Here’s how to change Preview to be your default application.
- Open Finder
- Select a .pdf file
- Press ⌘+i (or right click > Get Info)(or File > Get Info)
Been watching a lot of 30 Rock recently with the Mrs. We have watched the first four seasons three times through since December. Found this clip the other day. So good.
Excited about this one.